In the first quarter of 2016, Cameroon suspended the licences of four logging companies, issued 35 other companies with warning notices and generated 54.2 million FCFA (82.6 million euros) in fines related to illegal activities in the forest sector.
The new Government of Myanmar has agreed a temporary national logging ban and a 10-year logging ban in the Pegu Yoma region to give its beleaguered forests breathing space from years of unchecked exploitation.
The European Commission (EC) has published its report on an independent evaluation of the EU’s initiative against illegal logging: the EU Forest Law Enforcement, Governance and Trade (FLEGT) Action Plan of 2003. The publication, a ‘Staff Working Document’ in EC terminology, summarises the findings of the independent evaluation.
Around the world, public and private-sector organisations have made commitments to remove commodity-driven deforestation from their supply chains, including the New York and Amsterdam declarations. But implementation of commitments has been slower and harder than expected.
On 23 June 2016, British people voted in a referendum to express whether they wanted the UK to remain in the European Union (EU) or not. The result was 52% in favour of leaving; 48% in favour of remaining.
As the shockwaves from last week’s Brexit developments continue to reverberate around the world, we take a closer look at the implications for the EU Timber Regulation (EUTR) – a key element of global efforts to stamp out trade in illegal timber and wood products – summarized in a new Forest Trends information brief.